Who Should Apply?
Some of the traits which increase our interest include the following:
- Emerging growth companies
seeking first of early round of funding totalling less than $3 million.
- Buyouts and acquisitions under $3 million.
- While actual current revenue
is quite attractive, we do express interest in pre-revenue companies if many other factors are attractive.
- High growth potential, e.g.
expected ROI to be at least 30% or ideally greater than 5-7 times the investment with projected exit in 3-5 years.
- Experienced, strong, cooperative
management team in place with sales experience in the targeted market segments.
- Well-defined and analyzed segmented market which is large
or fast growing.
- Clear marketing plan including details on distribution channels, positioning, marketing, promotion, and sales.
- Clear and detailed competitor
analysis and unique selling proposition.
- Understandable proprietary technology. Patents are nice .... but the ability to
defend them is nicer!
- Impressive milestones.
- Significant investment by management and controlling owners. We like to see that you have skin
in your own game!
- High quality outside advisors and early investors.
- Clear plan for "Use of Funds."
- Reasonable, justifiable valuation. We are open to outrageously
high valuations as long as you can explain why!
Odds of Getting Accepted. AVF
typically receives more than 1,500 qualified applications. Only a small number of companies are invited to make live presentations
or make it through our collective screening process. Approximately 25 companies each year are invited to make live presentations
before our larger group throughout the year. And,beginning in 2017 our format limits our review of companies attending the
education sessions or who are otherwise referred to us through our larger network of investors and investor groups including
but not limited to the investors and investor groups listed here.